All things considered, I think we made the right choice in taking Dorian with us on the trip. There were times when it was inconvenient (mostly at 2 a.m. when he wasn't sleeping), but I think he needed to be with us this time. Next time....we'll see.
He did seem to grow up a lot on the trip. Here are some things Dorian learned while in Hawaii:
- he can sleep without being swaddled! yay! i am hoping that he will continue to get better at this. the time change, a different crib, an inconsistent nap schedule, and having to sleep in the same room with mom and dad all contributed to him getting about 10-12 total hours of daily sleep (including naps), rather than the 14-16 he was used to at home. so hopefully he'll be able to fall back into his old schedule, but without being swaddled.
- he has also learned to sleep better in random places, if i am holding him--we'll see if that translates into sleeping at church....
- he eats now! all the time. i feel like all i do is feed him. and he really prefers to eat whatever i'm eating. sometimes i can trick him into eating baby food if i feed it to him on real silverware. plastic baby spoons are for babies.
- he is learning to use his teeth. he can take bites of bananas, bread, french fries, sandwiches, crackers...
- he likes to play peekaboo with strangers, and thinks that every new person he sees is his new playmate...as long as he has a good hold on his mom.
- he got to know (great) grandma and grandpa well enough that he was okay hanging out with them sometimes while mom and dad went to play.
- he learned to drink from a straw.
- he is especially interested in doors and other things that open and close. he is figuring out how everything works.
- he has become way more opinionated and impatient than he used to be. he knows what he wants, and he makes it known when he doesn't get it.
- he knows when i put my fingers on the corners of his mouth and squeeze a little, he is supposed to stick out his tongue to show me what he is (or isn't) chewing on.
- he still loves Coldplay.
- he is still curious about everything and constantly getting into stuff.
- he still eats everything he finds on the floor, and bites mom when he is tired.
- he still likes to eat paper more than anything else.
- he still wants to play with dad's computer more than any other toy.
- he is still ticklish and thinks his dad is hilarious.
- he is still the sweetest little guy, a happy, adaptable baby who is sooo good all the time.